Sunday, June 17, 2012

Clara's Dad

Clara-
I want you to always know how lucky you are to have picked the Dad that you did. You could not have found a more loving, sensitive, silly, giving, smart person to be your first prince in this life. When I woke him at 4:00AM that August morning to tell him we were pregnant with you, a light came in to his eyes and it hasn't dimmed a bit since. Every minute of our pregnancy, Dad took care of you and I. He brought us water and rubbed my feet and spent hours talking to you in my belly. One time, he laid his head on my belly to tell you to be nice to me (you were kicking HARD), and you went right ahead and kicked him in the face. He was an anchor,  the strongest person in the world, when the doctors started telling us about your wee heart. He was so sad and scared, but he made sure that his first priority was to keep me happy and sane and focused on the joy you were bringing us.
When it was finally time for you to join us, Dad spent the better part of 2 days awake, getting me more water, and doing everything he could to get you here safely. He was the first to see you when the doctors took you out, he walked with you and the transport team to Primary's, and he was so mesmerized by you that he almost forgot to come back to the University hospital to find me.
Dad hates to see you in any kind of pain, he will do anything to stop you from being sad. He spends hours talking to you, trying to make you laugh. He swings the hanging light around in the living room to entertain you, he is always bringing toys to your bed to show you, and he loves to blow raspberries on your tummy to make you smile. He held his breath through every midnight visit to the ER, kept you covered and protected from germs, and was ready to intercede should any medical professional not help you fast enough.
Becoming parents has changed us profoundly, you have altered our lives in the best way possible. I have loved watching Dad shrug off any tough-guy appearances to help pick bows and dresses for you, to sing silly songs and just lay on the floor and play. I am so excited to see how much fun you two have when I go back to work, because I know nothing will be more rewarding for your dad than that special time together. When you are bigger, we are going to spend every Father's Day trying to thank Dad for all he has done for us.

xo
Mom

Happy Father's Day, Todd-you are the best dad we have ever seen! 
Clara and I are lucky to have you!

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said...brought tears, as most of your posts do. Except the ones that make me smile!

    ReplyDelete