Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Making Our Own Socks

There is a commercial for socks that always cracks me up. You see a dad and his son applying a white cement-like paste to their feet, and when mom returns home and asks what they are doing, they explain that they can't find socks that stay on without losing their shape ("and we're sick of it" says dad. "Sick of it" enforces son), so they are making something that will stay on permanently. The mom tells them that is stupid, and produces a  solution-socks that maintain their shape! And the family is joyous and they all jump on the bed together in their crisp, white, appropriately curved socks. Hoorah!
This is similar to what I foresee for the next few years. I go back to work in 2 days, and my control issues are creeping up on me. I am nervous to not be here to make sure things go smoothly, and I'm facing the fact that they won't go smoothly, and that it's ok.
High maintenance newborns create a lot of work and stress, diligent time keeping skills, and much patience. It's hard enough with both Todd and I around, and I know it will be harder when he's on his own. Clara is a full time job of feeding and cleaning and changing and laundry and restarting the mobile, replacing the binkie, re-applying raspberries to her tummy.
But I'm learning that people who are not me can also take care of Clara just as well, even if it's different than how I would do it. When the socks won't stay on, I know Todd will find an alternative process for keeping feet warm. I predict big messes and crazy ideas and that at least once a pet will be purchased without mom's input. Like so many working moms, I am sad that I have to leave and miss all the fun and chaos and milestones. I'm worried that I won't be here to figure out how to handle things going awry, but I know Todd will use his creativity and endless love of Clara to fix any problems that come up. And I can't wait to come home from work and tell them it's stupid and give them my solution ;)  Then we can all jump on the bed and laugh together in ecstasy!

No comments:

Post a Comment